Process Redesign of a Structural Foam Molded HDPE Trench Drain for the Construction Industry
Our customer was using a competitor’s straight injection molding process to manufacture a line of linear trench drains. These single-cavity molds ran very long cycles and the parts had issues with warp and dimensional tolerances. We helped redesign the line for low-pressure structural foam molding. This includes 17 different size trenches, which are all 80” long, 6” wide and range from 6” to 20” in depth. We achieved a 20% part weight reduction and 40% cycle time reduction, compared with the straight injection parts. We managed the aluminum mold build and designed a pair of tools with interchangeable plates so any two of the 17 sizes can run in one machine at the same time. Long term capability studies were performed to validate new processes and its effects on warp and shrink/expansion over time and temperature variations.
Request A Quote
Highlights of the Process Redesign of a Structural Foam Molded HDPE Trench Drain Project
- Product Name
- Linear Drainage / Trench Drain
- Product Description
- This trench drain is used to redirect water to a specific location.
- Industry for Use
- Residential, Transportation, Sport, Utility, Commercial, Industrial, Civil, Mechanical
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Process Design/Process Redesign
- Tooling Design
- Mold Build
Custom Assemblies to Print for Job Sites
- Interchangeable Plates
- Any two of the 17 sizes can run in one machine at the same time
- Manufactured to close tolerances for interchangeability
- Tooling Material Used
- Aluminum Core and Cavity Plates
- Equipment Used to Make Tooling
- Haas Gantry Mill
- Equipment Used to Mold Part
- Uniloy Milacron Low Pressure Structural Foam 500 ton Machine
- Overall Part Dimensions
- Length: 80”
Height: 6" - 20"
Weight: 12 lbs. - 27 lbs.
Wall Thickness: 0.200 - 0.375"
- Tightest Tolerances
- Dimensions: ± 0.062” to ± 0.250”
Wall Thickness: ± 0.010”
- Material Used
- High Density Polyethylene with Nitrogen Injected
- Part Weight Reduction: 20%
Cycle Time Reduction: 40%
- In Process Testing/Inspection Performed
- Long term capability studies were performed to validate new processes and its effects on warp and shrink/expansion over time and temperature variations
- Tens of Thousands Annually
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- Stock all 17 SKUs.
Available J.I.T Shipment.
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, 2D CAD Drawing Specifications
- Secondary Operations
- Welding Plastic and Metal
Metal Cutting and Machining